I LOVE having fajitas for dinner. Let me just start by saying, this meal was so delicious! My entire family enjoyed it, my toddlers included. I decided to use chicken and shrimp, but you could obviously opt out for one or the other. I also went ahead and made my own fresh Pico de Gallo because, why not right? Everything is better when it’s fresh. From start to finish, this meal took me about an hour to prepare.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lime juice/ Juice of 2 limes
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 boneless chicken breasts
Freshly ground black pepper
Green Bell Pepper
Red Bell Pepper
1 Large Yellow Onion
1 Red Onion
1 Fresh Jalapeño
1 Large Tomato
Cooked white rice, for serving
DIRECTIONS (Chicken and Shrimp)
1. Marinade: Whisk together 2 tablespoons olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, red pepper flakes, garlic and cumin. Add the chicken and toss in a ziplock bag to evenly coat with the marinade, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to give the chicken time to develop its flavor. Repeat the same steps with your shrimp, and place them aside until you’re ready.
2. Slice your peppers and onions and place them aside for cooking.
3. Pour about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a large pan, and heat over medium-high heat. Season both sides of marinated chicken with salt and pepper, and add to your pan along with any remaining marinade. Sear until the skin becomes golden and crispy, about 6 minutes or so on both sides, or until the juices run clear. Flip the chicken and cook for 2 minutes more.
4. Remove the chicken from your pan, and add another 2 tablespoons or so of olive oil to coat your pan. Add in your fresh peppers and onions and cook to your liking.
5. Add your marinated shrimp to the pan and cook until pink. Add your cooked chicken to the fajita mixture.
DIRECTIONS (Pico de Gallo)
1. Chop your tomatoes, red onion, and fresh jalapeño to your preferred size and add to a bowl.
2. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Add fresh cilantro, and lime juice
4. Taste, and enjoy!
For more recipes from The Chic Kitchen, Check them out here!